Amazon: $269 for the 32GB version + $18.83 Sales Tax(New Jersey) = Php 12827
Johnny Air Cargo: Php 849.52
Total Cost: Php 13,677
Disclaimer: Alright, I just want to be clear here, I know this price is around Php 2000 cheaper than what most stores in PH sell the 32GB 2nd generation of Nexus 7. However, the shipping charge from JAC could change depending on how Amazon or the online shop where you purchased the tablet packed it.
And so early this month(August), I was looking for a way to source a Nexus 7 2nd generation as I needed it for a project. The tablet was released a few weeks earlier in the US and I am pretty sure the only way I can buy it is online. When I checked Amazon, the 32GB is on back order for 2 weeks, but based from previous experiences, I know that their shipping estimate is pretty conservative. And so I ordered the 32GB version and shipped it to JAC(NJ), and hopefully I’ll get it in more or less 3 weeks time.
4 days passed and I receive a shipping notification from Amazon that my ordered was shipped, and I thought I was right that they’ll be able to ship it earlier than expected.
Alright, then came the waiting game. Here’s the timeline on how much time it took from ordering to the time I received the tablet.
Aug 03 – Item ordered on Amazon(2-4 weeks shipping time)
Aug 07 – Amazon marked item: Shipped(2 day shipping)
Aug 09 – Fedex marked item: Delivered
Aug 12 – JAC marked item: Received
Aug 15 – In transit(probably on plane)
Aug 22 – JAC marked item: For Processing(Manila)
Aug 24 – AM: JAC sent me an SMS to pick it up
Aug 24 – PM: Picked up
Based on previous transit times using JAC, I normally get the item at the 8th working day starting the count from the day they receive the item. For this instance, it is 4 days delayed. The reason was there was a typhoon in Manila the week my item arrived. Customs was closed for approximately 2 days and so JAC told me that there are a lot of backlog inspections in Customs.
Now here’s the thing, this is the first time that I’ve received an item from Amazon that is not packed in a box. Amazon shipped my item on a pouch! I was really anxious to test the tablet as I don’t know how JAC handled the shipment and I’m afraid the bubble wrap inside the pouch offers very little protection to the tablet. When I opened the envelope, I examined the Nexus 7 box and luckily there are no bumps and the tablet was in pristine condition.
With a shipping weight of only 2lbs, I paid the minimum amount of Php 850, which is not bad. What confuses me is why JAC didn’t charge me an additional of $25 since it is a tablet. When I ordered a Kindle a while back, i paid close to Php 2000 I think. So I don’t know if they made a mistake or they removed this policy already.
The tablet was awesome! I liked it more than my iPad 4 because of its size and weight. I’ll make another post on my first day of using it(yes, I rooted the device on day one). So stay tuned!
I am an early adopter, so I won’t mind spending a little bit more just to get a device earlier. I think PH will have a steady supply of this in the next few months. As of this date, the cheapest Nexus 7 2nd gen 32GB I know is around ~15K Php. If you decide to take my route and buy it from Amazon, here are some tips:
- You can have free 2 day shipping in Amazon if you try Amazon Prime for 30 days.
- The same item can be sold by different sellers. I only buy if it is sold by Amazon, not other retailers. Make sure you check which seller you’re purchasing the item from. If it is not Amazon, make sure you check the feedback etc. Right now, its Out of Stock on Amazon, but as I’ve said it’s available from other sellers. Last week I saw that Amazon is shipping it 1-2months, now its Out of Stock. There’s too much demand for this tablet.
- I use JAC plus, not JAC Retail. I think these are 2 different sales group from within JAC. I don’t know, but I think JAC plus staff is much more efficient in terms of replying to questions via email. To send using JAC Plus, send your item to JETC/Your Name, JAC+, followed by the address. JAC has office in NJ and NY, I’m used to sending my items to NJ because they have no tax, but since mid this year they charge sales tax to Amazon already. It might be faster to ship out if its shipped to NY, but I can’t confirm it, maybe next time.
- Once Amazon/Fedex marked your item as delivered, wait for 1-2 days and send an email to JAC(find the email in their website). They’ll give you a tracking number and you can check it’s status at http://tracker.johnnyairplus.com.
- I was charged a little bit less because Amazon shipped the item in a pouch. You may have additional charge if it was packaged on a box(if it is a big box, sometimes this happen). But the tablet’s box is pretty compact, so if Amazon use the right box size, I think you will be charged the same. Also I was not charged of additional $25 for a tablet purchase.
- JAC sends SMS when the item is ready for pickup. The SMS will include the amount to pay. They do accept credit cards by the way. If you can’t pick the item personally, you can write an authorization letter for someone to pick it on your behalf.