Gone are the days when you only rely on your US relatives trip back home to PH to bring you your designer clothes, newest shoes, electronics and other items. Here’s a review of delivery companies offering forwarding services from the US to the Philippines.
This is the second part of my review of shipping companies that offers delivery services for items purchased from US online merchants to the Philippines.
Company: Johnny Air Cargo(JAC)
Shipping Type: Air
Transit Time: 5-7 working days
Cost: $6.5/lb. minimum of 2 lbs for electronics items + $5(handling fee) + $25(for tablets/phones), $50(laptops). Total of which is imposed 12% VAT.
- Since your package travels via air, it’s fast.
- Warehouse in east/west coast. Ship your items to New Jersey to save on sales tax from Amazon(Up to July 2013 only)
- You get email response from them usually in 24 hours. PH staff is quite friendly(I only called them once and I was satisfied).
- They send SMS notification when your item is ready for pickup.
- Convenient pickup location, at last for me(Megamall).
- Safe. I’ve used them probably 20x already.
- @&#^$( Expensive.
- Computes cost via volume weight. If your item is packaged in a big box, it’ll cost more.
- No consolidation. Those who order from Amazon should have experienced having their items shipped on multiple packages. If that’s the case you have to pay for each of the box! Sometimes though, if your boxes are small, they let it pass.
- You won’t know how much you’ll pay until the item arrives in PH.
- No item tracking
I won’t reuse JAC if they’re not efficient. I think the fastest I got an item is 5 days. I must be lucky that day and my package arrived at the right time. But on the average, I receive SMS notification on the 8th day since they receive the package. Not bad.
My only gripe is the cost, specially if the online merchant used a big box to package the item.
My Personal Verdict: Use JAC if you can’t wait and need your package the soonest possible time. Also, to have peace of mind on valuable items – I would choose JAC as well.