Last week, I wrote a post about my DSL connection increase from 5Mbps to 6Mbps. As I scour the Internet looking for clues, I found that some Plan 3000 users are getting 10Mbps. At first I didn’t care; there’s no official announcement from PLDT and I thought they’re just doing some capacity tests and are opening up the pipe from some users.
Then last week, PLDT sent and email blast that gave some clues:
And so I thought, I need to find out how why I’m only getting 6Mbps when it should be 8Mbps.
This morning, I woke up early and troubleshoot:
- I usually use my laptop so my connection to my router is via wireless. I tried to connect using a cable. Speed = 6Mbps Max
- I bypassed my router and connect the cable directly to my DSL modem. Speed = 6Mbps Max
- I bypassed the DSL filter and connected the modem directly to the line. I thought the filter is actually conditioning the signal, but the phone connected to it might also be producing interference. Speed = 6Mbps Max
- And so, the issue is something between the line inside my house and PLDT. But there’s still something I can check. The 2 wired cable from the outside the house is connected to a small plastic enclosure. This enclosure/adaptor allows you to connect the phone cable that goes to your modem. I opened it up and noticed rust building up on the contacts.
- After cleaning up the contacts and rewiring – Speed = 9.6Mbps Max.
All the while, my PLDT speed profile is correct and I have the potential to get the max throughput. It’s a Layer 1 issue(Physical) that I overlooked. I think I can still get my speed up to 10Mbps. I need to replace the rusty adaptor with a new one as well as the wires.
Here’s the proof.
Here is my PLDT Modem Speed Profile:
As you can see my modem reports 12Mbps/1Mbps maximum throughput. My speedtest maxes at 9.6Mbps/0.8Mbps which is exactly 80% of the maximum.